

TREVELYAN COLLEGE JCR MINUTES

Exec Meeting

16th October 2017 7pm

CONTENTS

Contents	1
Absent	1
College Officers	2
This Term's Elections	2
Library Door	2
Diwali	2
Día de Muertos	2
Drop-Ins	3
JCR Dues	3
Binge Drinking Culture in Trevs	4
SU Things	5
Hatfield-Trevs Buffet	6
Freshers Week Review	6
Any Other Business	8

Action Points are in red throughout the text and are listed at the end.

ABSENT

Outreach Officer

COLLEGE OFFICERS

Lydia E: College are concerned about the number of incidents over the past fortnight. I've emailed all the captains and secretaries today to confirm when and where their socials were this week. There have been reports from people today. Hopefully the Hatfield dinner will improve the mood somewhat and show Trevs in positive light.

THIS TERM'S ELECTIONS

Mike: Committee elections opened at 5pm this afternoon. There will be husts this Sunday at 6.30pm. Definitely one for computing officer and outreach officer. If you see something that clearly breaks the rules let me know as I am currently without Steering Committee. The first week of November we'll open exec nominations. Hopefully we'll have 2/3s of the exec elected by the end of the term.

Grace: We need welfare and publicity ASAP for the visit days.

Mike: Yes, just need to make sure there aren't too many with screening panels at once.

LIBRARY DOOR

Emma: They can't replace it at the moment because the general library extension is the priority.

Nat: Can they do it along with the extension?

Lydia K: Yes.

Mike: The plan I think is to upgrade it simultaneously. It seems to have just been the first couple of days with freshers not aware that were the problem, is alright at the minute.

DIWALI

Mary: We have Diwali and the Hatfield people are coming. I'm in contact with one of the girls who is international rep there. My committee has everything under control.

Nat: Can you run us through what's happening?

Mary: There will be a bar night with a Bollywood dance performance. Massive shout-out to James who, even though he hated every minute, came in on Saturday and busted some moves. There will be activities in the Undercroft, board games and henna. There will be dessert-making and powder paint on the cobbles. Lingo will be doing Hindi activities and making chai tea in E TV room.

DIA DE MUERTOS

Mary: This has been postponed till the 4th of November.

DROP-INS

Emma: Can we print off the exec drop-in timetable and put it on the door?

Mike: I think we should encourage people to treat these more general.

Grace: Shall we put it on the weekly email?

Ben: Facebook?

Nat: Lydia's been sharing the butterfly post all the time.

Mike: Yes, want to avoid notification bloat.

JCR DUES

Ben: We've only had 12 people drop out of JCR dues and the deadline has now passed. This is much better than expected. Lydia and I are going to draft an email letting them know exactly what they're missing out on.

Mike: It would be useful to go through the things that they can and can't do. They can use the bar right?

Alex: Yes. They just can't use any of the sports teams or societies.

Mary: What about free events like for James and I?

Ben: No. Trevs Day is paid directly out of JCR dues so they shouldn't be allowed to that.

Grace: I think we can't police welfare.

general agreement

Mary: I don't want to encourage someone to take part in things if they can't.

Mike: We definitely need that list.

Grace: It would be good to have a rule with academic parents, there were people asking over the summer whether they could join in the MCR or from a different college.

Lydia E: Do the clubs give you a list of people who pay subs?

Nat: You ought to stop them from paying in the first place.

Mike: If they do play, they're not insured. If you did break someone's leg playing football and a judge ruled it was unfair then you would be publicly liable.

Ben: Would they not be insured because they're still part of the uni?

Mike: If they were playing university sport yes but not in JCR sports.

Lydia E: Did any of them get gym membership?

Ben: So we're all happy to distribute this list?

general agreement

Emma: What about formal.

Nat: Only as a guest.

Grace: Do they still pay a guest fee?

James: They'd pay as a liver-in.

Lydia E: Yes because it's a college event.

Mike: If Dr. Latham wants it, I'll create a mailing list of people who didn't pay JCR dues.

Ben: But it's a much smaller size than expected.

Lydia K: But can I hire them?

general agreement

BINGE DRINKING CULTURE IN TREVS

Grace: It does seem to be a big issue with the freshers but also college in general. There's a massive binge drinking culture and it isn't nice for anyone to deal with particularly. With WAComm, the first campaign is alcohol awareness so we're going to come up with some interesting and engaging ways to deal with that.

Alex Durk: The returners haven't been a problem but it is true that formals will always be seen by some as an opportunity to have a big binge. The question is when does it become a moral duty to stop them. Some people have been doing 10 Jaeger bombs a night and it's just dangerous for their own health. College used to enforce having one sober person on a social.

Mike: It used to please college apparently but it does force someone to give up their night.

Lydia E: But they are adults...

Alex Durk: Yes, so legally we're not responsible for them but there's still a duty of care.

Darcy: Could you have a drink not drunk policy?

Alex Durk: Drink not drunk never works, it just encourages people to get pissed.

Mary: If you say that they don't have to be responsible for each individual but just the group behavior needs to improve isn't that better?

Xander: I just think that places a lot of responsibility on one person, how are they going to stop a whole team of ten/twenty people who take it too far?

Emma: If you mandate someone to be there then it sets the expectation that they will be needed/ something will go wrong.

Lydia E: Some people who do drink and then are forced not to might just not want to go.

Mike: If you make socials very restricted, it probably will take an element of the fun of them.

Alex Durk: There will basically just be unofficial socials.

Mike: As rowdy as they have been, they are good for the bar; they make money and (good ones) keep the bar busy. At least if it's going on in Trevs they're in a safe place.

Mike: Imagine you stop serving someone and they go straight down to town. Anyone else?

Emma: Do college want a response?

Lydia E: Yes, after this meeting.

Xander: I think awareness is really important and the WAComm stuff will be great but, beyond that, is it really our job? Its safer if they're in college drinking then elsewhere.

Lydia K: I agree.

general agreement

Alex Durk: I really don't know how to approach it.

Lydia E: Could we ask Have a Word to train the social secs?

Grace: That's a really good idea.

Mary: That's the best thing to do.

general agreement

Lydia E to organise Have A Word alcohol awareness training for club social secretaries

Mike: One thing I have seen is the treatment of some of the bar staff, who are also students, being so so bad.

Mary: They might adapt with their friends.

Alex Durk: It is true it's mainly the freshers, but we can't hold out hope that they will just change.

Mike: It was just embarrassing and not nice to watch. If any of us see staff being mistreated then we should kerb it.

SU THINGS

Darcy: It turns out that the SU reps don't have a committee. We are getting one which means we can make policy and effectively take work off PresComm. Everyone's really mad at the SU for not doing shit. We talked most about the #RippedOff campaign. They literally want to occupy the Palatine Centre. You remember they had a meeting about the accommodation fees, that got delayed and they want to occupy it. There are sixteen reps, four of them are named George (it's ridiculous). Anyway, Grey JCR has a budget for a demonstration as they're announcing the fees for next year this week. They have agreed to give us a copy of the motion. Basically my question is, what do we do as Trevs?

Lydia E: Let the SU know that their publicity with the facebook gifs is patronizing.

Darcy: Yes, it's so childish. They want it to be tailored to the college. But it's not the college officers.

Xander: Why not do the protests on the Visit Days? Convince the people who have yet to choose Durham.

Lydia E: We could boycott the whole thing?

Mike: But that's too much, it would make national news.

Lydia E: The University's ultimate strategy is to bring more and more students into Durham and increase the price of the private housing thereby forcing everyone back into college in a few years at a much higher price.

Mike: Assembly, next week?

Darcy: It's the day of Hatfield formal, the 24th. I imagine it will just be dull stuff like ratifying societies.

HATFIELD-TREVS BUFFET

Nat: We will have 30 freshers attending.

Lydia: Let's go, let's have a good time. I think it will be better than we think.

Mike: I remember when Prof. came into the JCR Office and he did make a really good point. They had a really shit freshers week, they got turned away from clubs just because of their college. They're just the same as other people- just from a different college. I personally don't think having another college partnership is a bad thing. Probably, if we give them an event they might give us something back. Their summer ball looks sick, it might be a sick event to go to. Just go into it with an open mind.

FRESHERS WEEK REVIEW

Lydia K: I wouldn't do it again. I think it's actively unacceptable that two freps have to share a room. I think a lot of it is unnecessary. We did not need to go down to clubs four times in the week. Maybe once or twice. We're not there to nanny them, we're not being paid.

Xander: This year was very different to last, they seemed to need us much less. Last year I definitely wanted to do it again, this year not so much.

Grace: Some were abusive. We also could have made better use of time on the Wednesday - Sunday beforehand. It just wasn't very efficient

James: There were plenty of freshers who were really appreciative of what we did.

Mike: Trevs has taken on more students so maybe it's just that there is a very different profile of student this year. As Alex says, maybe it's just that the wider span means that fewer people need so much support.

Mary: But that compromises the student experience.

Mike: Durham is very different to any other university. Maybe, that's why this year it felt a lot less beneficial.

Mike: You wouldn't ever ask someone to do a job and then tell them to sleep on the floor.

Grace: And it's crazy how long we work, 8.30am-4.30am the next morning.

Nat: Hatfield has way more fresh but the freps don't stay over and they do shifts.

James: There were so many Freps who just asked to leave throughout the week for an hour or two. It wasn't an issue, which means they weren't needed.

Lydia K: The control over what Freps could do for themselves was ridiculous - having to ask when to go home or have a nap, it's quite restrictive.

Emma: The Frep's wellbeing is equally important etc.

Mike: I think the general consensus is that the week is flawed in some ways. (Obvs great in other ways.) We should advise the next senior frep(s) on the defects though. I felt that we had a lot of stuff that we could or couldn't do because it did or didn't work the previous year. We should advise them but we should also be aware, as we've seen, that every year is different.

ANY OTHER BUSINESS

LGBT+ FORMAL

Nat: I confirmed with Dr. Latham, we can't call it 'pride bar night'.

Grace: Can we put flags in the wineglasses?

Lydia E: Napkins are fine. Nothing that's inflammable.

Nat: This will happen on the joint formal, 14th November.

FORMALS

Emma: Livers out formal will hopefully be ok. If you see someone doing a 2p in front of you please pick them up on it.

Lydia E: I found last formal quite difficult to catch your attention Emma.

Mike: You need to sit in a different place. Why must you be in that seat?

Emma: easiest to see the whole room and also check with people who leave that they know not to come back in if they leave. Need to face forward or I won't be able to see as much and need to discipline the whole hall equally not just two tables.

Lydia E: But you can't stand up, it has to be one of us to stop people from coming back in.

Emma: If I tell them before they leave I don't think they'd try come back in, if they do the Exec member sat opposite me will see and let me know.

TREXIT MONEY

Mike: How do we want to do this, online vote?

Nat: How would you do it?

Mike: We just have candidates, the vending machine with a manifesto and price; the air hockey table; and then RON. I'll put proposers as Lydia K etc. so they have people to direct questions to.

PS4

Ben: We'll be getting one of these for the Upper JCR.

GYM MATTING

Lydia E: College believe we should still pay for it and potentially take it out of gym subs.

Mike: If the motion came again, I would have to give a full context and it would just be voted against again at the meeting.

Ben: A college officer would have to give their side at a meeting.

Lydia E: Their argument is that money has come out of special projects for it.

Alex Durk: Yes.

Lydia K: What percentage of the JCR use the gym? Not much I think.

Alex Durk: If you don't pay then college will take the line that special projects just ceases to exist.

Mike: Bring the motion back, and invite Prof or Martin to explain it. However, the MCR should take a percentage of that burden too. Be aware that if the motion does come back it will probably be identical apart from the note that it happened before.

Lydia E: College now wants to put that money back into special projects.

DINING HALL TABLES

Nat: I have some photos that Janice wants us all to see. She thinks the tables have been damaged from spoon-banging.

Emma: It doesn't look like spoon-banging.

Alex Durk: I don't think I could do this damage if I went to town on it with a knife.

Mike: Just tell people to stop damaging the tables.

INVOLVEMENT

Lydia K: How can we get people more involved generally in college, especially in jobs for me and Alex. It's just weird that only one person has applied for both WAComm and Steering Comm.

Mike: Do you think people don't think they need to re-nominate each year?

James: I have someone who has re-applied.

Mike: Lydia and I have a meeting with Mollie and the other JCR presidents and chairs about this in Collingwood SCR. We'll look at ways to increase participation.

FLEXI-CATERING

Lydia E: Nothing is set in stone. The idea is that people can get the deli bar or go to YUM. But there's no guarantee yet that there will be reimbursement/discounts.

Mike: If there's no guarantee of a discount it seems unfair.

Lydia E: When we were in the meeting, they were talking about reimbursement.

Emma: I'm going to the 10am meeting in the SU tomorrow.

Mike: If you do go, get a very accurate record.

Lydia E: If college do less than 21 meals a week, we literally do not have the facilities.

Darcy: Are we sending an MCR person to this meeting tomorrow?

Lydia E: Joe will go. Once they've confirmed what's going on we'll let the JCR know what's going on.

ACTION POINTS

LYDIA E

- Organise Have a Word training for club social secretaries