



TREVELYAN COLLEGE MINUTES

JCR Executive Committee 18/19 Bonding

CONTENTS

April 17th:	Meeting 1	p. 2
April 18th:	Meeting 2	p. 5
	Meeting 3	p. 8
	Meeting 4	p. 11
April 19th:	Meeting 5	p. 14

Action Points are in red throughout the text and are listed at the end.

ATTENDEES

Annamaria (Mary) Karvalits President

Christian Moulding Vice-President

Alistair Stark Treasurer

Laura Hosford Welfare Officer

Abigail (Abby) Ellis Outreach Officer

Alexandra (Saška) Dobozy Social Chair

Nathan (Nat) Kunin Durham Students' Union Representative

Edward (Eddie) Brown Services Officer

Jeremy Teale International Students' Representative

Daniel Thomas Publicity Officer

Jack Reed Chair

Rebecca (Becki) Smith Buttery Chair

Alexander (Alex) Grover Incoming Bar Sabb

WHAT IS OUR PURPOSE

Mary: Whilst being on the Exec is an important role, it's something you do alongside your degree voluntarily.

Christian: We're all here to represent a particular aspect of college life and provide signposting to the JCR.

Alex: Ultimately we're here to serve the JCR and uphold college's reputation.

Christian: The people we don't see are just as important as the people we do (e.g. at JCR meetings).

GOALS AS A GROUP

Alex: To facilitate and support the student experience as best we can.

Mary: Its important to improve the things we can, but also interlink and support each others goals.

Laura: And making sure everyone is happy and feels supported in their roles.

Christian: We should also be accountable for our goals (e.g. within manifestos).

ETHOS

Laura: We want to work on being seen as transparent, accountable, and not a clique.

Mary: We have to reflect on communications within college to improve transparency.

Christian: We want to develop a culture of approachability.

Nat: Agreed, the office door for example should be kept open if you're in there.

Alex: Whilst the minority will engage, make sure you know how to target the people who don't.

Mary: The more you engage, the more helpful the JCR becomes.

Mary: We will likely know the most about college's workings. It will difficult but just try and be patient.

COMMUNICATION

Nat Demonstrates Slack and Canva (Slack: a free work-based messaging platform. Canva: a free design programme).

Mary: I would recommend that you set yourself communication office hours.

Alex: And be consistent with your communication style.

Nat: We don't want to overload on emails to the JCR, ask on Slack about that days posts.

Christian: Try to understand when certain people may feel more stressed and don't take things to heart.

Mary: If you do have an issue, let's all agree that we will talk about it and be honest.

Laura: Just be conscious of confidentiality. But detach personal from professional.

FUNCTION AND STRUCTURE OF EXEC MEETINGS

Mary: Lets agree a day and a time when we can meet weekly.

Nat: Ideally not Wednesday or Tuesday. People don't like Wednesdays either.

Group agrees on Monday meetings at 6:30pm

LIVERS OUT EXEC PRESENCE IN COLLEGE

Mary: Other than myself and Alex all of you are living out, we should all try and remain present in college. We have to serve as a good example that it is worth coming back to college.

Christian: A lot of us hang out at college regularly, it makes us visible and approachable.

Laura: But don't feel like being in college is an obligation. Use the library if you need your time.

Mary: Try and not sit together in the bar, make an effort to sit with non-Exec during meetings.

JCR OFFICE

Mary: Drop-ins are typically Monday - Thursday, with none on Friday and the weekend. Do we think we should change that? **Group agrees to keep current schedule**

Laura: We need a balance between keeping the door closed and open.

Mary: You shouldn't be in the office if you're not doing a job. People will get the wrong idea.

Christian: Stick to office hours.

Mary: non-exec members or exec in the office during formal nights is fine I think but it's very cliquey so we should look to avoid it when we can.

Alex: You can always use the upper JCR or cobbles.

Mary: Make sure to lock the door. Also, within 36 hours of formals all mess will be binned.

Laura: We have a welfare food box now if anyone needs to store food.

Nat: Please make sure people return glassware to the bar.

Mary: Just don't keep stuff in the office that isn't important to the role.

Christian: **Discusses graduation and exec stash** I'll get your input later on Slack.

Action point: Fix the binding machine.

Dan to create a drop-in signup sheet.

INDIVIDUAL GOALS WITHIN OUR ROLE

Alistair: Increase the involvement of FinComm and look at ways of modernising payment methods

Becki: Potentially increase Toastie Bar wages and get a waffle maker.

Laura: Improve drop-in signposting (potentially with a live-chat drop-in) and make people aware of what we do and what we don't. Campaigns have also been rushed in the past. College wants to push resilience.

Jeremy: Get the ISA (International Students' Association) working and a few project ideas.

Eddie: Maintain a good relationship with staff. Perhaps introduce smart casual events and a token system.

Nat: Try and get SU sabbatical officers to come into colleges and generally increase SU engagement.

Dan: Modernise our social media presence, particularly Instagram and Facebook. Also increase the transparency and availability of information on the website.

Alex: Maintain bar profits and see how I can facilitate any of your ideas for the bar too.

Jack: Improve JCR meeting turnouts and generally hold you all accountable for the JCR.

Christian: Foster a sense of collaboration and clarify formal punishments. I'd also like to introduce a more casual approach to academic events alongside the current academic events.

Abby: Create some slightly more diverse outreach programs and increase the usefulness of the upper JCR.

Saška: Find a way to get more non-fresh involved with events, and utilise SocComm more.

Mary: I would mainly like to improve our image as a college and a common room and communicate this to the world. Trevs is good at doing a lot of great things without people knowing. Oh, and have a nice time.

WORK MANAGEMENT

Discussion on how the exec work and deal with stress

Laura: Just keep an eye on each other. in times that are likely to be more stressful.

Mary: A lot of our jobs can get intense at times. It helps when people can chip in on the workload.

Nat: Don't feel obligated to help though, and do delegate to your tier 2s.

Christian: At times when morale is low we can organise things to pick morale up.

Abby: We are all a team, we need to keep that channel open and support each other.

Mary: If at any point the cons outweigh the pros, you have to do something differently.

MEETING 1 ADJOURNED

DISCIPLINE/FINES/BANS

Christian: We need to hold ourselves accountable to the high standard expected by us and other common rooms. Be professional and make sure you are able to do your job.

Mary: There are procedures in place for communicating problems. Never let it get personal

Christian: Seek out a second opinion too, particularly if on a public platform.

Christian: We should deal with fines on a case by case basis. Myself and Mary will discuss this.

Alex: Whilst the bar can ban people, we hope to communicate more with society social secs earlier.

Mary: Fines tend to make people unhappy with the exec so we should look at alternative methods.

Christian: Bans should work so long as people are told the reasons for it and can learn from it to tailor their behaviour accordingly.

Mary: We can discuss this on a case by case basis in exec meetings.

RELATIONSHIP WITH COLLEGE OFFICERS AND STAFF

Mary: We probably have the best team in Durham in terms of our common rooms and college team.

Alex: Get on their good side.

Mary: If we have a big project, Prof is the first person to talk to.

Christian: Whilst the JCR is large, appreciate that the staff's main concern is college as well.

Alex: If communications are relayed from college staff to the JCR, find a way to make this clear.

Mary: We will have JCO meetings once a term but most of the time you work with staff individually.

ALUMNI WEEKEND

Mary: We are now responsible for alumni weekend at the end of term. I've already sent out the exec calendar for this term. Abby will likely be in charge communications for this event.

MCR AND SCR COMMUNICATIONS

Mary: There have been some problems in the way we communicate with the MCR and SCR. The SCR also have a budget that can be really helpful for events.

Christian: The MCR in college are quite involved generally.

Mary: We just need to make efforts to improve integration.

Nat: This is something we can bring up in JCO meetings.

Mary: We need to sort a communications strategy to manage inter-common room communications.

Action point: Abby to look into the Alumni weekend.

Develop MCR and SCR communications strategy.

EXEC ENGAGEMENT WITH THE JCR

Jack: I'd like to enforce that each term, exec members write a report what they intend to do next term.

Christian: It would only be helpful if everyone has access to it.

Jack: We could send this out as a graphic on Facebook?

Mary: Regarding the anonymous feedback system, the anonymity makes it difficult to address.

Alex: A lot of people can use it as an excuse to vent. Scales are helpful in that sense.

Mary: It's difficult to evaluate scales, but this can be trailed.

TRANSPARENCY

Alex: Is it worth sending emails to society presidents?

Jack: The Society secretary email list should do this.

Mary: We shouldn't underestimate the influence of societies.

Mary: Please keep me on my toes with my Instagram

Nat: The JCR Instagram and Snapchat could be used in a more professional scope.

Action point: Plan Trevelayn JCR Instagram takeovers.

ROLE DIFFERENTIATION

Jack: How should we separate ourselves from our individual roles.

Alex: Have a consistent communications method .

Mary: Don't let people read into your actions when they are purely functional

JCR MEETINGS

Jack discusses plans for JCR Meetings next year

Mary: When we are making the events calendar, could we include JCR meetings?

Jack: This might help with planning hosts and improving attendance

Mary: And reminding tier 2's of their responsibility.

Christian: We could post a brief abstract of meetings on social media?

Jack: Motivations for attendance worked well last year.

Becki: Some people like to engage more with interesting motions than food.

Mary: So lets write really engaging motions. Perhaps summarised on social media.

Jack: I also wanted to look into posters as a form of communication.

Alex: This could be quite overwhelming.

Jack: If we do posters we would control their layout and location within college.

Mary: We need to make it generally more clear what canvassing is for.

Jack: Regarding screening, were planning on booking out G Committee Room on most Wednesdays.

Alex: Who would be needed at these given the impending CO restructuring?

Mary: So long as the same questions are asked of all candidates that shouldn't be a huge issue.

Alex: Devise questions you think you should have been asked yourself and pass these on.

Mary: This can be a discussion point in the next JCO meeting.

Action Point: Jack to finalise and post JCR meeting schedule.

Mary to bring up JCO restructuring in regards to screening.

TIER 2 AND TIER 3

Alex: Should music rep should be a tier 1 position?

Mary: The initial argument was that they might struggle with additional exec responsibilities.

Alex: Perhaps it could be an ex-officio role?

Christian: This could be seen as elevating music over sports and other interests.

Christian: We could look into creating a distinct Music Events and Music Culture rep?

Nat: If these are tier 2 position, 'Events' could be under SocComm and 'Culture' under the VP?

Mary: Generally, I recommend DSU committee training to any of you with a committee.

Action point: Look further into the prospect of reforming the role of Music Rep.

EX OFFICIO ROLES

Alex, Becki, and Jack discuss their ex-officio exec commitments

SABBATICAL PRESIDENT

Jack: **Discussing the sabbatical president referendum** A 2/3 majority is required for this.

Jack: We could do the results live, but there are no set rules for how many can campaign.

Mary: College will need to have a say on this job description of this. And the handover schedule.

Christian: The exec in general should remain impartial.

Mary: Please could we all pitch in on the working group.

Action point: Exec to participate in the sabbatical president working group.

MEETING 2 ADJOURNED

JCR RELATIONSHIP WITH UNIVERSITY

Mary: How do we think it's best to approach this?

Christian: I'm intending to convene JCR Committee more frequently to gauge JCR opinions.

Alex: These people may not represent the JCR as a whole?

Christian: I'm don't think there's a better option.

DSO FRAMEWORK

Mary: **Describing the DSO** Common rooms can either be a charity or exist within the DSO framework. We can get training from them and utilise their intercollegiate and contactable network.

Action point: Mary to update and post DSO point of contact information.

DSU

Nat describes the DSU

Mary: Association members are mandated to sit on this.

Nat: Do we think there should be new ways to gauge peoples interest on SU motions?

Christian: We need to avoid confusion about SU communications representing the Exec or JCR.

Alex: Perhaps say by what majority Trevelyan College has agreed a motion for example.

Exec agree that they wont influence or express opinions on JCR or SU elections

Mary: Ultimately, statements on behalf of the JCR are my responsibility.

Nat: How do we want to manage and publicise SU elections?

Alex: The current cobbles system work well.

Jeremy: Particularly when flyers are put in the dining hall.

COLLEGE IMAGE

Mary: I'm looking to create a coherent and positive image of Trevs. How would you describe Trevs?

Christian: A college that celebrates being different.

Mary: Diverse in terms of a community.

Alex: The college that raises the most charity money and where you can do almost anything.

Christian: We should promote all of this on social media.

Abby: College is looking to revive the Outreach Project. I'd like to focus on sports and art.

Mary: We could also ask the community what they need.

Alex: Make sure not to blend outreach and charity.

Abby: I'm going to talk to SCA to make people aware of what Trevs are doing.

Christian: Whilst I'll need to talk to the current Sports Rep about this, I'm looking to merge 'sports' and 'societies' so non-sports or non-music societies have a liaison within the JCR like other JCRs have.

Action points: Integrate social media accounts (for society successes etc).

Dan to take stock of archive photography.

Jeremy to take photos for improved college image.

Christian to investigate reforming the Sports Rep role.

MONITORING UNEXPECTED EVENTS

Mary: How do we think we can mitigate the impact of unexpected events?

Christian: It comes back to what is a college vs JCR decision.

Mary: We need to build up procedure to redefine what happens during these events.

Christian: Ultimately the exec is here to look out for societies, a lot of sports teams feel ignored.

Alex: We just need to support each other in these situations as a collective.

PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT AGENDA

Mary: Prof is keen on an academic focus to uni life with the College and Durham Award. Mentoring perhaps hasn't achieved its goal of pushing these.

Christian: The incentive is there if we can push this from a career prospects point of view.

Alex: This isn't really the Exec's job, but we can certainly increase the awareness.

Christian: It's probably more ad hoc that we can discuss later, likely with academic parents.

ACADEMIC CULTURE

Christian: I would like to explore the potential of smaller scale academic events.

Mary: Postgrads sort of have a program for this, albeit under the postgrad guise.

Christian: Could we revive that, perhaps linking with other colleges?

Alex: Is an academic formal still a good idea?

Christian: We could ask a Durham Alumni to talk during the dinner?

Mary: Prof would likely know someone who could talk with an academic focus.

Jeremy: Maybe explore having an alumni officer present at the first academic parent session.

Action point: Christian to discuss restructuring academic formal with Prof.

WELFARE

Laura: We're looking to restructure drop-ins, Collingwood have a good online chat during specific hours.

Dan: It would be good to change the perception that you need to help to good to a drop-in.

Christian: We could do a 'no problem too small' campaign?

Laura: I was thinking about moving some drop-ins to ETV as some are inherently more social.

Laura: As far as academic parents are concerned, we need to look at ways to improve participation.

Mary: Academic parents could contact children weekly with recommendations of some sort.

Laura: I could get assistant welfare to head this up.

Laura: Also, on a general note if you think someone is in harm, or that someone else is, you can't promise confidentiality. You can give an anonymous disclosure to Dr Latham if you need guidance though.

Laura discusses plans for Stressless

Laura: Regarding the Welfare role name, uni want more of a wellbeing and resilience approach.

Dan: We should gauge this on other colleges, we don't want to be the only sans-welfare college.

All agree to keep the current name until further notice

Action point: Laura to look into academic parents restructuring (e.g. Alumni).

SU training to be discussed at a later date.

Launch welfare instagram.

MEETING 3 ADJOURNED

EVENTS CALENDER

Saška: **discussing future events**

Mary: I've tried to outline all the different events occurring next term, these are on slack. Do we think it's sensible to have Fashion Show, Charity Ball, and Charity Dinner in a row?

Alex: Movember perhaps doesn't need a bar night, we should convene this with the charity officer.

Mary: Let's move breast cancer awareness to the Movember slot to utilise that formal.

Jeremy: **gives a run down of events** I want to potentially host a British event and a Guy Fawkes night to foster integration between domestic and international students.

Mary: Also, I think college would rather have a Los Dios Muertos event than Halloween.

Jeremy: We can discuss this with Prof, and his plans for the New Zealand partner college.

Jeremy: I'd also like a an International unplugged and Lunar New Year formal on the 5th or 7th of February.

Christian: A fresher focussed academic event / talks in first term would be great, could this work?

Alex: There might not be too many people to discuss their dissertations then.

Christian: We could look to book a lecturer or an academic?

Mary: Other common rooms would be welcome of course.

Christian: Once the social calendar is finalised we can work from there.

Jack: **Discusses the plans for JCR meetings and elections** I'll finalise these later but for now I think we could publicise a general outline of what roles are coming up when.

Mary: Once we finalise these we can do a Google calendar for all of us and the JCR.

Laura: I hope to finalise a list of campaigns dates at the start of next term. Some will be handled by Tier 2s.

Christian: We're potentially missing something for young carers and 'no problem is too small'.

Becki: Mental health week was also a little rushed last term.

Abby: Regarding the Housing campaign I plan on doing this earlier.

Alex: Probably best after November 1st when estate agents are allowed to put up the signs.

Christian: We could push this with the Welfare Instagram, weekly email and with dining room flyers.

Mary: **Reading message from current Sports Rep** Impending sports events include the College Sports and Societies Photographs and College Festival of Sport on June 13th (same day as Summer Ball).

Christian: There are usually some charity sports events after exams as well.

Alex: For Oktoberfest I'm hoping to promote responsible and better drinking. When would this fit?

Mary: A similar time to last year should be ok, we can help out with any JCR, MCR allocations.

Laura: We have to be careful timing an alcohol awareness campaign around this time.

General acceptance of Alex's Oktoberfest plans

Mary: As far as working events, security guards should be there if help is needed. Report alcohol issues to the senior servers. How do we feel about hiring in external cleaners after events?

**General consensus that money for external cleaners would be better spent elsewhere.*

Mary: The topic of international events came up in council. What's everyone's opinion of taking the profit of social events to partly fund international events?

Alex: If this is something the JCR agree with, then yes.

General agreement

Action point: Deadline for the social events calendar is before exams begin.

Laura to finalise campaigns and events calendar before term starts.

Google Calendar comprising all events to be created.

STORAGE

Saška describes the social garage inventory

Mary: Jim (College Assistant Operations Manager) has moved sports equipment, the Sports Rep will inform people of the new locations. We also need to be on the lookout for storage given that the JKH will soon be used for lectures.

Action point: Eddie talk to Jim about storage (and find somewhere for Trevor)

JCR LEVY

Mary: It's really important that freshers pay their £130 JCR membership. We need to track those who don't. We will make it the first thing in the freshers booklet. Do we want to update this?

Alex: We will only need to discuss this if many have opted out in the next round of payments.

Nat: We could also make those who haven't paid the levy be Guest priority on formals.

FINANCE

Alistair: Push the Platinum Passes. Also, I'm also looking into more online payment methods for prospective students and within college. Perhaps through a third party or PDQ.

Alex: The cash machine at Mildert should alleviate this to some extent.

Exec financial induction training to occur in college on April 19th

UPPER JCR

Mary: There is still money in the upper JCR budget, do we want a lockable door?

Alex: Some MCR may complain about this.

Christian: It's a JCR space.

May: Let's vote.

Overwhelming vote for a upper JCR door lock with a code

Abby: I also want to stock the upper JCR but I'm not sure how to police this.

Alex: We also should move the PS4.

Mary: There aren't many great alternatives, perhaps we should bring this up in a JCR meeting.

Action point: Lock on the door of the upper JCR

Discuss moving the PS4, potentially in a JCR Meeting

MEETING 4 ADJOURNED

JCR ONLINE PLATFORMS

Dan: I'd like to streamline and just generally resurrect some of our dead social media channels. More importantly, we need to outline a defined set of rules for these.

Mary: We need a specific policy for what should and should not be posted on these channels.

Alex: Rather than rules you might want to make what is appropriate more clear.

Christian: Offer guidance rather than immediate removal perhaps? The phrasing is crucial.

Nat: We could include signposting and useful contacts in the policy.

Mary: We can frame it in the sense of notifications and that some channels are more appropriate.

Alex: Give people an opportunity to make it relevant to Trevs before deleting posts.

Mary: We can see it as not removing information, just redirecting it to where it's expected.

Mary: So we all agree that we can improve the way in which we signpost, making rejections constructive?

General agreement

Jack: As far as the weekly email is concerned, posting a newsletter version on Facebook may work.

Mary: Within the email, say who provided the link and information.

Dan: People generally need to utilise the email more, I'll look into this.

Mary: Given our opportunity to create a new policies, changes should be communicated clearly to the JCR, with any disagreements discussed in meetings. Whilst this will have some teething issues, we will post anything on Slack before we change it.

Action point: Dan and Mary to finalise a new publicity policy.

SPORTS AND SOCIETIES

Alex: What would a new sports committee do?

Mary: This depends on whether we see some additional value to this?

Laura: We can see if this is something we can develop when we enrol the new rep.

Christian: I don't think there's a need for it because there is already a sports captains Facebook group.

FORMALS

Eddie: Alex has expressed that he can't work formals, but Jack and Becki are ok with this. I'll make a rota. Regarding discipline, this is something we need to enforce during freshers week.

general discussion of exec responsibilities in formals

Mary: Signal myself or Christian if you need us in formals. Also, within reason, do we agree that non-event vom cleaning is not our responsibility?

General agreement

Alex: Make sure people hand back the cleaning kit washed.

Mary: Do we fine people and donate this when we don't have to get cleaning in?

Alex: It's probably better framed as a contribution than a fine.

Eddie: **proposes token system** This would save time and likely be more affordable in the long run, whilst also reducing waste from tickets as the tokens can be reused.

overwhelming consensus to develop a token system for formals

Eddie: Regarding the JCR livers-out dinner, we'll wait for the social calendar to put this in.

Action point: Eddie to make a rota for exec working formals.

Eddie to purchase formal tokens.

OUTREACH

Abby: I'd like to make the housing campaign earlier and also give livers-out more reasons to come back.

BAR

Alex: For now, we are looking into a Trevs keep cup with a reusable discount. Regarding behaviour its not within your legal rights to stop people drinking. I'll let you know who senior server is during formals. Give me at least 14 days notice to order something for an event. Also, make sure people wear shoes.

BUTTERY

Becki: **discussing plans for the vending machine** This is a learning curve so I'll keep you updated in terms of restocking. I'm also looking to hire staff this term and get a waffle maker.

EXEC INDUCTION

Mary: **having discussed confidentiality** Meetings will be posted on slack, Christian will finalise them. DSO training, vom training, cash handling and expenses will be discussed later in college.

MEETING 5 ADJOURNED

ACTION POINTS

Mary:

- Update and post DSO point of contact information.
- Bring up JCO restructuring in regards to screening.
- SU training to be discussed at a later date.
- Develop MCR and SCR communications strategy.

Christian:

- Discuss restructuring academic formal with Prof.
- Investigate reforming the Sports Rep role.

Jack:

- Finalise and post JCR meeting schedule.

Abby:

- Look into the Alumni weekend.

Jeremy:

- Take new photos of college life.

Laura:

- Finalise campaigns and events calendar before term starts.
- Launch welfare instagram.
- Look into academic parents restructuring (e.g. Alumni).

Dan:

- Create a drop-in signup sheet.
- Integrate social media accounts (for society successes etc).
- Take stock of archive photography.

Eddie:

- Talk to Jim about storage (and find somewhere for Trevor)

Saška:

- Deadline for the social events calendar: before exams.

General:

- Collate all events into one Google Calendar.
- Put a lock on the door of the upper JCR.
- Discuss moving the PS4.
- Plan Instagram takeovers.
- Fix the binding machine.
- Look into the prospect of a Music, Society, or Event Rep.
- Exec to participate in the sabbatical president working group.