



TREVELYAN COLLEGE JCR MINUTES

JCR Executive Committee Meeting

3rd May 2022, 6:30 pm, hybrid

CONTENTS

Contents	p.1
Absent	p.1
Individual reports	p.2
Minutes Arising from the Previous Meeting	p.2
Harm Reduction Motion	p.2
Gym Committee	p.3
Beach Clean Project Update	p.4
Trevs Day	p.4
Any Other Business	p.5

PRESENT

Alannah Life	President
Mudit Tulsianey	Vice President
Clementina Vong	International Rep
Emma Rohe	Welfare Officer
George Little	Treasurer
Grace Moore	Services Officer
Jim Lin	Social Chair
Roshni Vachhani	Publicity Officer
Sara Westerhuis	Buttery Chair
Thomas Hewitt	Chair
Yusuf Alsari	Communities Representative
Apologies:	
William Brown	SU Representative

INDIVIDUAL REPORTS

Alannah: No college officers meeting this week. Last week we discussed possibility of opening café again, due to problems with staffing, college will buy a hot water dispenser so people can make tea / coffee. With regards to summer ball, we are waiting for legal to get back and then good to go.

Mudit: Stash has been released, window will close this week.

George: Meeting about summer ball so selling tickets needs to be released soon. Will have access to the system on Thursday!

Clementina: Working on Stress Less event with POC reps and Eurovision with Bar Sabb

Jim: Working on Trevs Day and keeping contacts with food vendors, everything is in progress and Janice knows everything and approves so far

Roshni: Minutes for the bonding meetings are up. Sent out the first newsletter, which will be sent out on a fortnightly basis. Working with the relevant people to advertise various things (trevs day, summer ball and stash)

Sara: Tesco's will no longer accept our order (doesn't like being called Trevor) but this problem has been solved. A few problem with scheduling staff but expected. 6 events which needs to be conferment but looking good. Plan to change provider in general, sent an email to Rob but doesn't reply to Sara 😞

Yusuf: The beach clean up sign up is full

Thomas: Emailing list is sorted (but if that doesn't work i.e. if you didn't get an email from trevs poster, then let Thomas know).

Emma: Stress less events planning. Most events are run by college, so very well planned every Tuesday and Thursday. JCR have sports events, music unplugged hopefully, movie nights etc. Drop ins commenced today. Also talking to CIS about sorting out the anonymous messaging service.

Grace: Been talking to Martin and Janice and the decision is to have formal menus decided at the start of term. Condiments will be added again, which did not seem like a something Dawn liked but it's the right thing to do to move forward

MINUTES ARISING FROM THE PREVIOUS MEETING

Thomas: Roshni has published the meeting minutes. Does anyone have any concerns or comments?

All shakes head

Thomas: Okay.

HARM REDUCTION MOTION

Alannah: Has everyone had a chance to read the motion?

All nod in acknowledgement

Alannah: A few other JCRs have already had a JCR meeting, and this has been passed with all those JCRs. Any comments or thoughts or queries?

Emma: Was there anything we can do regarding Narcan?

Alannah: Staff can help in case of overdose but eventually will be expelled because of the 0-tolerance policy. Already colleges, if someone were to throw up due to drugs (assumption from spiking not personal use), pay for clear up of throwing up. It is a spoken rule not written.

Mudit: When we advertise maybe show more research that harm reduction works, we can use papers and multiple resources to back it up.

Alannah: Thomas would this be possible? I don't see why we can't send over research as well as the motion when we send things out. This will help people understand what and why and have a deeper understanding. Might be a good idea to get MCR on board on it as well, to get a nice Trevelyan College front. We can start to have conversation with staff etc.

Mudit: The only other question is why is there a 0-tolerance policy?

Alannah: The idea is apart from being spiked, is taken voluntarily. Its not academic misconduct. A lot of these aren't brought forward to the university, but when it is brought in front of the university, they don't react well. It is potentially due to the idea that 'you shouldn't take drugs, so don't '.

Thomas: Yeah, I don't see a problem with doing this when I send out the email about the motion. So do send along anything that you think might help here.

Emma: If I'm not wrong their might some research from Durham, so be a nice thing to share.

GYM COMMITTEE

Alannah: Drafting the motion currently, this was discussed by college staff - they don't like the way that the gym is being left, currently very messy. Their first instinct is to close the gym because people aren't treating the space right (i.e. leaving a few dumbbells around or wrappers etc.). We as the JCR don't like this, it's a nice way to get money because people are almost forced to buy the jcr levy in order to get gym membership. Also the gym is a nice facility of Trevs. So discussed with Giles (Current gym rep until next gym-elect has been elected) is to form a Gym Committee, formed up to 6 people, where there is a rota for each person to keep an eye out and make sure that the area is clean. This will help the gym rep and any exec by not adding in more workload than they already have, in return get a free gym membership for the duration they are on the Gym Committee. This shouldn't be elected is what I think, it should be people apply and gym rep decide. The other thing is how long would they be on the committee for, a termly thing or a yearly thing?

Yusuf: I think it's a good idea. We could make those people livers in because easier to monitor when close. But then we are limiting it for people. So might as well just open it up to everyone.

Sara: I think it's a good idea. From a lazy POV then reimbursements will be complicated to handle.

Alannah: If termly, they can do a really good job one term and then more likely to be on the committee next term. And we already do accept termly payment of membership, so reimbursement side of things shouldn't be too difficult. I think yearly would be better, and then we can swap if needed due to exams or summative season.

Mudit: Yeah, there will be a job description needed for this committee.

Alannah: Because this affects FinComm I want to get the motion written by Thursday so then can be sent through to Steering in time for the meeting. Also noticed that Gym Rep don't get free Gym Membership so if we are doing it for the committee, might as well give them free membership as well seeing as their job is to manage.

All nod in agreement

Intermission – waiting for another zoom link

BEACH CLEAN PROJECT UPDATE

Yusuf: Not really much but essentially this project is really good. Hannah said they were going to give 2 buses but now only 1, so if we want another bus JCR will have to pay. So, I said no, but wanted to hear your opinions:

Alannah: I think it depends, if the waiting list is a full bus worth, then we could look at financing it. If not, what we can do is, because this was popular keep an eye out for event and say it was popular which is actually the truth! We now have a basis for sign up quick, so will encourage others to do.

Mudit: Could we ask people to make their own way to the beach and meet there and volunteer?

Yusuf: Yeah we could do, I'll check with college about equipment for additional volunteers.

Alannah: Should be fine because colleges biggest worry is the transport. The equipment is fine, so we can ask college to finance the 20 people to take a public bus for £1/£2. If not, we can advertise the route and there is availability to help but only the first 25 people (however many on the bus) get it free.

George: So essentially doing a £1 reimbursement for any extra people

Alannah: Arriva app lets you book tickets in advance so we can sort this out ahead of time essentially.

Thomas: Anything else on this matter?

All shake heads

TREVS DAY

The exec discussed some traditions that typically happen on Trevs Day.

Jim: Thinking about milk tea as a food/drink vendor, one of our friends makes milk tea, but the problem is hygiene certificate. External vendors are very expensive. Is there a way buttery can help?

George: We can get him qualified, and JCR can be fund it.

Mudit: Would it be easier for your friend to teach the buttery workers and we pay for that and then the workers do it

Sara: Yeah could be an idea. I know a few workers worked in a café etc. previously, I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem.

Jim: Okay. Janice likes the Trevs super couple idea. Usually run by charity officer, but we don't have one. So down to us. No idea what it is fully.

Alannah: There are a lot of Tier 2s missing, so elect them. Charities Rep is currently under Yusuf, so Yusuf will be in charge of running this. A competition for Trevs couples, sign up and compete as a couple and the winner gets a prize. Wine and condoms as a prize?

Yusuf: So I'm basically organising that?

Alannah: Yeah

Yusuf: Yeah that's really cool, I'm excited

Mudit: Are we allowed to give wine?

Alannah: Yeah its from the bar, as a prize. So £1 per couple. Couples sign up, compete, raise money for charity. And wine could be the prize!

Jim: An announcement, no formal on 8th June.

Alannah: Something to raise with college staff, would it be possible to allow livers out to have dinner in college?

Jim: Janice did mention that and livers out pay catering staff. We also have food vendors here till 5 or 6pm.

Alannah: Yeah that's quite early to have food finish. If its early enough we could enquire about numbers and then see how likely college can make it happen?

George: It seems like a stress for something that probably won't happen much attention from the livers out.

Alannah: Yeah fair enough. Welfare room, Emma is that open / sorted?

Emma: Technically part of the Assistant Welfare Officer's role but I'll check.

Alannah: Yeah should be fine to sort out. It is essentially some toast and tea etc. and a no alcohol space essentially.

Jim: Scavenger Hunt. Exec involved, to help with handing out gifts and clues etc. So be ready! Not sure what the prizes will be at the moment, dependent on budget.

Thomas: Did we sort out dinner?

Sara: Yeah definitely something we should look at because probably not a good idea for people to be drinking all day without a proper meal.

Alannah: Yeah we will look into it and see what we can do.

AOB

Thomas: A few people have asked about JCR meeting date, so will try send out an email with dates. Does anyone have any objections?

All shakes head to show approval

Roshni: Would it be possible to organise a 1st and 2nd year group photos?

Alannah: The photography people are being annoying, the only time they seem to have free at the moment is after term has ended or during term time on the stevos societies day. But yes, we will try to get this sorted with 1st years and 2nd years. The reasons why we are having a difficulty is because a large number of sports societies are doing sports tours. Need to include them otherwise creating more of a divide with that particular group of people, which is like a good 50 people. Need it Monday to Friday, so college staff can be in it. Also need to figure out which exec cohort to have for the 2nd year photos.

Mudit: Quick thing about the formals, has the priority been decided for the end of year formal because we only have on this year?

Alannah: Always the same. Priority: Finalist, non finalist, freshers.

Mudit: Great, just wanted to check

George: Had a meeting about extra money for events, the extra money from winter ball is being split amongst events. Instead of 750 allocated extra to freshers week, it will go to summer ball and subsidising the meal because they are struggling at the moment.

Alannah: Okay.

Thomas: Great, any other points?

All shake heads

Thomas: No, okay. That is the first official JCR meeting complete