



TREVELYAN COLLEGE JCR MINUTES

JCR Executive Committee Meeting 2022

14th February 6:15 pm E Meeting Room

CONTENTS

Contents	p.1
Present	p.1
Individual reports	p.1
Any Other Business	p.4
Action Points	

PRESENT

Dorian Held	President
Mudit Tulsianey	Vice President
Clementina Vong	International Rep
Emma Rohe	Welfare Officer
Jim Lin	Social Chair
Roshni Vachhani	Publicity Officer
Sara Westerhuis	Buttery Chair
Thomas Hewitt	Chair
William Brown	SU Representative
Yusuf Alsari	Communities Representative
George Scholey	Bar Sabb
Rosie Rochester	Environment Rep
Apologies:	

George Little
Grace Moore

Treasurer
Services Officer

INDIVIDUAL REPORTS

DH: Communicating with charity fashion show. The event they are running has been given the greenlight. Fashion show. Communicating with Rory about trying to get things sorted for Sports Dinner. Valentines formal is happening on Thursday, nothing super special is happening. Things are going.

MT: Stash distribution has begin. Trevs Talks on Monday. Just trying to gather input on Appeals motion. In terms of Tier 2's in communication about the sports and societies photos, and just in the works of sports dinner .

CV: Language Café happened

ER: It's the gay month, so doing stuff for the gays. Working with CIS AB

GL: Motion passed on Sunday, these reserves have now been filled. TBag is being released this week. Charity ball is good, tickets are live just try and get people to sign up!

GM:

JL: Musicians Dinner and unplugged was great on behalf of Tier 2s, trip next term in the works, summer ball is looking great and in budget. Charity comm is getting charity ball is going and please sign up.

RV: Volunteering form collected and will plan a meeting with Hannah and new Comms Rep for activities post hand over. Stationary cupboard sorted and so now if anyone outside of the exec borrows anything, note it on the whiteboard inside the office. App is ready to be tested, so ill share info after the meeting on how to test it if you want before we buy it potentially.

JT: Nothing much has happened. Stock ordering needs to happen, coming on Thursday

TH: Elections opened this week.

WB: I've had a meeting with DSU Assembly, and it was under attendance so will have to do it again. It was about NUS and the other one was our delegates. Other thing I've done are: housing talk today with Mudit, and college university competition. We had 12 people do it and still have more to do. They were all really good at quizzes.

GS: Bar. Formal on Thursday, LGBT bar night on Friday. I have lots of passion fruit flavoured things. There will be special drinks. Other than that, bar.

Durham Climate Sustainability Manifesto

TH: Two documents on slack group

RR: Manifesto, commit to doing something. Create an exec position for climate, which can be done through an existing officer. To reduce plastic in all events. Produce sustainability audits for major events from JCR. It's a great way to show commitment. I've signed it as the Trevs Environment Officer and an individual and need JCR to sign as well. A lot of good ideas to become more sustainable. A pledge to take action and start doing things.

DH: The implementation are just notes. This is being presented to us as an exec to sign and decide what we want to do, not constitutionally binding in any way. This is to be presented to a JCR meeting to be implemented by the end of the year. This is essentially some guidelines to get things started to inspire ourselves to add to what we currently have.

MT: In terms of stash, we could ask future VP and Environment to look more into this

WB: When it says about sustainability audit, what form will that take? Is the data there?

RR: It can be things like food wastage, material reusage etc. I think the point is we are getting as much information as possible so we can be held accountable as much as possible. I think the whole point of this policy is to make sure we can get started in the direction.

JL: Most of the time we expect a certain amount of people. For events, we don't know how much food wastage. I'm not convinced about the value of the sustainability audit, and how feasible it is.

RR: Makes sense, I think the important point here is how reusable things are. Its about tracking what new things we are buying for a specific event that can't be reused for future events

DH: I got a very suggestive tone from it. I think the important parts are the new procedures, which is quite difficult to get going but good to get the ball rolling.

JL: Frequent use of 'must' makes me worried because of our limited budget

GS: For the bar, who is paying for this. The bars are run by very tight budget by the university, one time purchases are expensive and its obviously not a one time purchase because they go missing. And its costly, £4 Is there any funding.

RR: Durham Climate Society have some funding. There is also the buy back with £1 cup first time and then there after £1 cheaper but can see how impractical it is.

JT: Is there any mention of toastie bars? From our POV, we do order a lot of paper plates.

Biodegradable plates are at least double. I can try to offer a solution to what has happened to the buttery in the last 6 months. The university like a top down approach, so if they said bars need this plastic cups and they will need to fund it. That way things get done by university.

TH: We can look at striving towards these goals, a motion to bring to JCR.

DH: What I am planning on doing to do is to go back to DCS and opening discussions to adapt this to make us happy. If people can think about this and then take notes on what they want to do, and myself and Rosie will discuss this and try to get this looked at.

MT: It would make sense to make agreements per college so that it works for each college.

WB: Could we write our own that is more suitable for our college?

RR: I think it is more we can do things on our own, but it is more who is going to keep us accountable. I think if we did it internally then we scrap it.

WB: Surely that is the role of environment comm.

RR: Yeah if this didn't go through, I would go to a JCR meeting with a motion. But I think it is important to be united with other colleges.

DH: What next steps

MT: I think if we go through our individual sections and comment on what is feasible in each of our sections

GS: I think the next steps is to say something like we are interested in manifesto and then we can an adjust one that we like

TH: In terms of signing it

DH: To implement it we need to bring it to a JCR meeting

TH: But then we could theoretically sign it as an expression of interest

DH: Okay so shall we all look at it and make comments in writing and send that to Rosie and Dorian for us to go forward with it?

Vetting and Appeals

There was a discussion on the vetting and appeals process.

AOB

DH: POVD happening 20th and 22nd March in Easter holidays, new exec potentially? Send something to students.

DH: Keys thanks for filling it out so we know who has role

DH: Constituonal review meeting after photos

ACTION POINTS

Everyone: Look at Climate Manifesto and make comments and send it to Dorian and Rosie

ER / MT: Talk to Hannah about the process and potential of having college involved, HR training and come back next week with written proposal // investigate what other colleges do

TH: Ask other chairs what their colleges do if you want

ER: If anyone has thoughts for role of communities rep and how we move forward and send to me

Everyone: Look over your job description and skim read over other positions critically regarding your role and anything else that you think needs fixing and typos. Priority your job description, your tier 2s and your tier 3's.