



TREVELYAN COLLEGE JCR MINUTES

JCR Executive Committee Meeting 2022

24th May 2022, 6:30pm, Hybrid

CONTENTS

Contents	p.1
Absent	p.1
Individual reports	p.1
Durham Leadership Academy	p.2
End of Exams celebration	p.3
Open Day	p.3
Any Other Business	p.4

PRESENT

Mudit Tulsianey	Vice President
Emma Rohe	Welfare Officer
George Little	Treasurer
Jim Lin	Social Chair
Roshni Vachhani	Publicity Officer
Sara Westerhuis	Buttery Chair
Thomas Hewitt	Chair
William Brown	SU Representative
Apologies:	
Alannah Life	President
Clementina Vong	International Rep
Yusuf Alsari	Communities Representative
Grace Moore	Services Officer

INDIVIDUAL REPORTS

Mudit: This week I was mainly covering things for Alannah. I went to the college staff meeting, and the main discussion was about the running of the coffee bar. They want to quantify it so that is why there is now a tally table. In terms of VP role, stash has arrived. On Friday I will get it ready to be distributed so that next week during drop ins, stash can start to be collected

Roshni: Minutes from the last meeting are up and the next newsletter has been sent out. Also started updating the website, and post exams, I'll spend some time updating all the info properly. Also sent out a form for meet the exec, please do that asap so I can start putting things together for social media

Jim: I was under the stress of exams, but that's all done now. I've been talking to Janice regularly about Trevs Day, and keeping her in the loop. Also been in touch with some of the execs, particularly Sara and Yusuf, to update and organise the full day. Other than that all good and smooth. For the decoration, might need some help particularly any artistic people, help. Volunteer!

George: Expedition applications are open. That is going to happen next week. Also been looking at Trevs Day money stuff and starting to look at the budget for next year.

Jim: Can we add more spending for events?

George: If anything, we should be saving.

Mudit: Looking at the standing orders it mentions about informing the JCR if certain reserves are exceeded. Is this under control George?

George: We won't be in that position. Need to deal with president salary as well.

Mudit: So how do we tell you if we want to add things or change things in the budget.

George: Just keep me updated and informed.

Emma: Stressless has been going on. Cake in the quad is by the far the most popular thing that has been running. For the pets relaxation this week, we are adding in an extra hour. Also started pride planning, was going to do movie night with Johns but not getting much response. Also, about the harm reduction motion from first meeting, that letter was sent, and a response was received. Now the university is creating a working group, and the first session is on Monday.

Thomas: Talked to Mudit about awards and applications for ratification for clubs and societies

Yusuf: For the beach clean up we have an extra 20 spaces. Aware of Celebration day. Keep an eye on the reps, will message and loop in his Tier 2's. The office needs cleaning, so going to set a day next week to clean it, so if you have no obligations that day feel free to come by and help. Booking for basketball court should be online, as well as the MASH room, which will make it a lot easier and convenient.

Sarah: Going to move the machines to the Upper JCR.

Will –Last week was mainly exams but had a meeting with Seun. Essentially, there was things at the time she couldn't tell me in the fear that I would spread the word, but now all that information has been released. Marking boycott has been avoided, so that's good. It appears that the SU has been doing stuff, in trying to negotiate with UCU and University and trying to avoid unnecessary destruction or inconvenience to students which obviously haven't gone smoothly. But I do believe that overhead posts have been harsh. Also got an email from Charlie Procter. It was a very honest and decent reply, sharing that he was concerned about the impact, invited me to discuss things further.

I have the assembly meeting on Thursday, looking forward to it. Culture Commission Report is out, allegedly out 2 nights ago but saw it last night. That was interesting, look forward to reading it.

DURHAM LEADERSHIP ACADEMY

Jess: Thanks for having me. I was on the exec 2 years ago, so very familiar here. Lovely to meet the new exec. I do not know if any of you have any idea about the leadership academy.

Jess: Im not seeing any nods. The university runs a lots of programs throughout the year and one of them is about leadership. They run workshops on skills you might need, like conflict management, and how to do the difficult talks, time management especially in summative seasons. So, lots of things we can help you on. We

also run a trainee weekend so that allows you to talk to other execs (not just jcr – volunteering, sports, du societies etc.). Great way to network with other students and learn new ways of how to deal with new things at university. Every student on the programme gets allocated a 1-1 mentor. The mentors that were once on the exec and now one of amazing top leaders and mentors, like Wallace and grommet leader, politicians etc. Top leaders and know what its like to be in your position, a leader in Durham. The mentoring is a great opportunity to connect on a monthly basis. For me, I found aspects of my job as VP quite challenging, so having a mentor really helped to navigate things. Great way to feel like you are really progressing in your role. I studied law and had a top level lawyer in ministry of justice who has helped with networking, provide opportunities etc. Your mentor is really there to support you and is just really valuable. The leadership academy have networking events, take you down to London to network with mentors. Launch in June, great way to network students. It is endorsed by various companies. Great for your cv to have all these skills. Quite comprehensive programme and really valuable. Great way to develop outside your degree. Applications open up until 10th June, upload your CV and answer a few questions (like why you want to do it and what you think you will get it out). Ill send out poster and anything like that to Mudit. I don't know if Mudit has much to say or add from his experience

Mudit: It is a safe space to make mistakes or discuss mistakes. A little discussion solves a lot of problems. Training weekend when doing small things, may not seem like transferrable, it is a stressful situation, so you learn how to deal with it

Jess: Any questions? You get all things paid for, so really just the time you put in. Really would encourage you do it, by far the best thing I did as a student. Apply!

END OF EXAMS CELEBRATION

Mudit: In the college meeting, one of the things Hannah brought up was this. I will tell you what college said and other things. Wednesday 1st June – two main things are 12-1:30 is some sports stuff sorted from sports rep. 1:30-2:30 is free ice cream for 300 people and music things – big band might play it. Other suggestion if the butterfly could get involved, whether its hot dogs etc.?

Sara: Could do popcorn and candy floss?

Mudit: Maybe you can enquire if college will pay, butterfly can do it. What else do you think we should do?

Mudit: I imagine if you don't have any ideas for now, if you do have any ideas message Hannah.

Thomas: So we have ice cream, sports and music.

George: That sounds like a decent idea. Where is it happening?

Mudit: I guess back lawn

George: We could do board games.

Emma: Student support have board games.

George: Also, game soc?

OPEN DAY

Mudit: Open day, again from Hannah. We need people. We are expecting 10000 people to visit and Trevs is 1 of 5 colleges open. We need every help we can get. Try and get and ask your Tier 2's. If you can, do. It should. Can be half day, full day, both days.

Jim: Some depts paying for you to help them

Mudit: Yeah but here you get a free tshirt and food

Jim: Speaking of free tshirts, POVD stash?

Roshni: Alannah is best placed to solve it

Mudit: Back to the open day, could try asking anyone to help

Roshni: I think we can open it up to everyone, anyone who is remotely involved, doesn't have to be Tier 1 or 2. Some people are super involved but aren't on the exec

Mudit: Okay

AOB

Jim: I am thinking if there is a way to increase ticket prices. Given inflation, everything is super expensive. Since we are considering raising up the levy price, we could discuss increasing ticket price? I feel like, has everyone seen about the durfess ball costs. We are the 2nd cheapest college, so I feel like a slight price increase would be acceptable

Mudit: Can always explain with inflation. How much do you think. Like rise with inflation?

Jim: Yeah

Jim: Trying to be transparent with everything on Instagram, would that be okay?

George: Yeah that would be up to me and you, doesn't have to be a motion.

Jim: Last year when they were hiring music things, they had £190 budget but this year, I have already given music reps £200 and want £100 more. According to musicians union we have to pay £200 per hour. I discussed this with Yusuf and he said post exams he will deal with it.

Mudit: What we did for TCMS was get a DST grant. Maybe ask around for grant? Depending on how it goes, you could also talk to college. Let them know what the problems are and see how they can help.

Jim: I feel like now more than ever, its fairly acceptable. To raise the price. If you get involved and you work the event, you get discounted price

Thomas: Bring it in JCR meeting?

Jim: Could it be a discussion point

Thomas: You could bring it up in your report – that it may increase due to inflation. If you do discussion point, then you are opening up to the floor. But is it a discussion point?

Mudit: Could phrase it, how do we want to deal with this...

Jim: I feel like now I might just stick it to my report. Like compare to South, we are free whilst south is £17

Thomas: JCR Meeting with 12th June. Announcements will be released on Monday

George: It's going be a big one

Thomas: 5 motions.

Roshni: I could do with some ideas for my newsletter. Running out of ideas to beef it up. I'm currently running off what people post on facebook.

George: We could advertise societies.

William: Can I advertise my opinions on SU things.

Roshni: Erm 5 people read it.

Emma: Huh that can't be true.

Mudit: What if we do like a puzzle and if you do all of them you get a prize.

Roshni: Can I have money? I want a snapchat filter for trevs day.

George: Everyone wants money

Thomas: Advertising societies would be a nice idea.

Emma: Question about the awards. Is it true they don't have to JCR member?

Thomas: Hmm. I think they need to.

Sara: Would it be okay to put machines in the upper jcr?

Mudit: Trevs talks were looking to have it 6th/7th June. Would it still be there?

Roshni: We could always just move it for that to the butterfly

George: Yeah just put a cloth on it.

Thomas: I have confidentially agreements for you to sign.